Site Home> CARES Act Emergency Relief Fund Report
CARES Act Emergency Relief Fund Report
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Report
CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students
Report as of June 11, 2020
- Providence College signed and returned to the Department of Education, the Certification and Agreement to receive funding under Section 18004(a)(1) of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES ACT”) on May 6, 2020. No less than 50% of the funds received under this code section will be used to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
- The College will receive $1,349,783.00 pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
- As of June 11, 2020, the total amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants awarded to students under Section 18004(a)(1) was $717,000.00.
- At least 2,650 Providence College students are eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and are thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- As of the date of this report, 717 students have been awarded an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act. Checks will be mailed this week to these students.
- The method(s) used by Providence College as of the date of this report to determine which students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants and how much they would receive under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is as follows:
- Providence College elected to provide a grant of $1,000 to Pell-eligible students, who did not study abroad, because of the pandemic to be utilized to offset incurred expenses for course materials, technology, transportation, and other items.
- In addition, the College estimated that students who were studying abroad during the spring 2020 semester incurred at least $1,000 in transportation, room and board, and other expenses as a result of the pandemic and the requirement to return to the United States during the semester and issued grants to those students in that amount.
- Providence College is currently compiling and reviewing additional requests made through an on-line application process. It will be making additional awards in the coming weeks.
- Any instructions, directions, or guidance to students concerning the Emergency Financial Aid Grants: Students receiving grants under 6(i) and (ii) above received communications identifying the basis and purpose for the award of the grant. Providence College has communicated to all eligible students through an email with a link to an online application process.